Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Painting Club

I went to the minis painting club's meeting this month. I haven't been in a while. I worked on a couple more Reaper Bones (some bugbears and a gnoll). The going is slow, but I am painting a bit more regularly.

Of course, I might have gotten through more painting if I hadn't left my glasses at home...

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Pics, just to prove it happened.

Here are the Minas Tirith spearmen and the Bones Bugbear. Not much to look at, but it felt good to finish a mini again.

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Some progress!

I wanted to post before I spaced out again, but actually worked on some minis last night! (yay)

I finished (more or less) a Reaper Bones Bugbear and three LOTR Minas Tirith spearmen.

I was waiting to snap pix after I got the bases done. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

I also fiddled a bit with a Reaper Orcus model I've had half painted for ages (mostly while waiting for paint to dry on the others).

I don't know that it inspired a new campaign or anything, but damn it felt good to actually work on something and make progress!

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Seeking inspiration through little green men.

Not that kind:

This kind!

As I've mentioned in a separate blog, my gaming motivation has been low for a while now. I've tried to jumpstart my creative energies by reading fantasy and science fiction, not to mention gaming books. I've started writing adventures and campaign ideas only to stop partway through. None of it has really gained traction.

So now I'm thinking of trying a different tack. Instead of what I have usually done –looking for minis to fit an adventure or campaign I'm writing– I'm going to paint the minis to spur the ideas. A picture is worth a thousand words, right? So how much can I get out of a three-dimensional visual?

So my very simple goal is to put paint to a mini every week. I have a bin full of Reaper Bones that are collecting dust. I don't even care if my rusty paint skills turn out something ugly. At least I'll have done something!

It's worth a try, right?

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Not a mini, but more tabletop fun

I put this bad boy together this weekend in a frenzy of project madness. It's a 32" LED HDTV set horizontally in a wooden frame (basically 2x4s) and covered with plexiglass. There is a Chromebox PC with wifi hooked to the back with a wireless keyboard and mouse. The system can then log into Roll20 and display the player's view of the dungeon map, etc. The GM runs the session maps from a laptop. Physical minis/tokens can then be placed on the plexiglass and moved about without scratching the screen.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Lookee! I put paint on a thing!

With a slew of minis from the Reaper Bones 3 Kickstarter due to arrive in a couple months, I figure I need to up my rate of mini-completion to better than an annual schedule. So I put brush to paint and managed to get the last barrow wight from the LOTR/Moria project done. (Yay me!) The base is garbage. I may upgrade that later, but at least it's table-ready for now.

I always feel silly when I get out of the painting habit. It's something I do for fun, not a job. Hopefully I'll make some inroads on all the Bones minis I still have from before!

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Advancing the cause

A while ago, I backed the Hammer & Forge kickstarter from Ganesha Games. Part of the rewards was a pdf of the Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes rules. I just downloaded them the other day and started looking through them. So far, it looks like a pretty fun set. I'm not 100% sure I don't still prefer the basic rules for ease of use, but most things are fairly modular and well-explained and the rule sets are pretty compatible. There is also a free handy primer pdf explaining the differences between the rules and how they differ. I recommend checking it out. The pdfs are available on wargamevault.com