Monday, July 11, 2011

A River Runs Through It

Well, I don't have pix yet –I'll post some tonight– but I spent yesterday making a bunch of terrain, including a sectional river out of MDF. It's in four pieces, each ≈ 1' long, and can cross the whole (4') board. The sections are ≈7" across; which is equivalent to an SBH Long Move. ;-) I used 3/4" wide strips of foam core as the river banks and flocked them with sand and static grass. I also cut a bunch of other shapes from the MDF (new jigsaw!) and plan on making some ponds and swampy terrain.

I tried a tip I read in an old GW book on terrain making. I used PVA glue on top of the painted river water for a gloss effect. Overall it worked OK. It's more "satiny" than glossy. Unfortunately I tried using my heat gun on them to speed up the drying, and the glue sort of "blistered" in places on one section. I'm going to try gently sanding this off and re-applying the glue again.

I also made a hill with a cliff face (not finished painting it yet), a ring of standing stones, a cairn, and a Hirst arts bridge for the river. I also want to make a ford and rapids based on stiff clear plastic (like clamshell packaging) that I can lay over the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment