Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Dream of a Thousand Cats

24 actually, and it's really sort of a nightmare, but still!

I agreed to help on on the Call of Catthulhu Kickstarter by painting the custom cat minis that were one of the rewards. The deal is the pledger gets to send a pic of their own cat in to be turned into a painted mini. Now that the KS has finished and funded, there are a total of 24 cats ordered, now I get to paint 'em up.

The cat minis are from Reaper and glued to some 3/4" GW bases I had in a bag. I spent most of yesterday AM filing and basing them, then applying primer. Now I just need to get the source files for the paint jobs.

While they are supposed to be painted like the individual cats, the fact is these tiny thing (≈1/2" long) are only going to hold so much detail. The delivery date on this is March 2014, so I have a bit of time. However, I suspect that this will dominate my painting time for the next few weeks.

Here a couple samples I did a few weeks ago:

As you can see, there's not a lot of room for detail (at least not with my level of skill). Also, I doubt I'll be able to do customized all the bases like the"carpeting" under the Russian Blue. The "broccoli" base of the mini is not great on top of the flat base, but the legs are too tiny to pin or trust to glue, so I'll just work with what I've got.

1 comment:

  1. LOL!! "agreed to help" -- that's one method of forcing you to get the paints and the brush out!

    - Rick